Saturday 13 December 2014

Meet the author

K. A. Cross presents...
Larada Horner-Miller

About Larada

Larada Horner-Miller is a poet and essayist who lives with her husband in Tijeras, New Mexico—a town nestled in the east mountains above Albuquerque. She holds a bachelor’s degree in English, with a minor in Spanish and a master of education degree in integrating technology into the classroom. For thirteen years, she was a beautician until transitioning into what would become a twenty-seven year career in education.


Want to know more?

1.   When did you first realise you wanted to be an writer?


I was in my thirties.  I had become an middle English teacher and participated in the National Writing Project, a professional development workshop.  We were treated like writers and it was there that I realized I was a writer.


2.    In what kind of environment do you work best in?


I work best in a coffee shop atmosphere where there is some gentle background sound and a good cup of coffee.


3.    What's your favourite thing about being a writer?


My favorite thing about being a writer is getting to live life twice – once when it happens and then again when I write about it.


4.    How did you come up with the idea for your latest book?


My Mom died last year and I wrote poetry to deal with the grief.  I read my poetry to my therapist and she encouraged me to think about a book of poetry.


5.    Do you ever base your characters on people you know?


Yes and no


6.    Do you ever wish that some of your characters were real?


Yes


7.    What do your family and friends think about your book/s?


My family and friends are very proud of me.  My brother is my best promoter.


8.    Do you plan out your books or do you just go with the flow?


I go with the flow and then I change it in the revision process.


9.   Who is your favourite author?


My favorite author is Tony Hillerman.


10.    What’s your favourite genre?


My favorite genre is mysteries.


11.   What’s next for you?


My next book is a poetry book about my grief process when my Mom died last year.


12.    What advice would you give to someone just starting out?


I waited 20+ years to publish my book—don’t wait!


13.    What’s your favourite movie?


My favorite movie is The Wizard of Oz.


14.    If you were stranded on an island which three items could you not live with out?


I could not live without my iPad.


15.    If you could be born in another time when would you choose and why?


I would be born in the 1890’s in the west because of the wild free life style.


16.    If you wrote an autobiography about yourself what would you call it?


My recently self-published book is a memoir.  It is called, This Tumbleweed Landed.


17.    What your guilty pleasure?


Raspberries


18.    What’s your favourite season and why?


My favorite season is the summer because I am always cold in the other seasons.  I love the hit.


19.    Do you have a nickname?


Yes, my Dad called me “Shorty” and my friends at home called me “Rada.”


20.     How do you handle writers block?


I use Natalie Goldberg’s ideas of a 7 minute free write.


21.    What’s your favourite writing snack/ drink?


Coffee


22.    What three words best describe you?


Enthusiastic, busy, passionate


23.    What your fondest childhood memory?


My fondest childhood memories was spending time on our ranch in the corral, training my horse, Prince as a 4-H project.


24.   Would you prefer a quiet night in or a night on the town?


A night on the town


25.    What has been the best day of your life so far?


My best day in my life was when I married Lin Miller.


26.     If you could go back in time what one piece of advice would you give yourself?


Don’t marry the 3 husbands before Lin Miller.


27.    If you only had one more day to live how would you spend it?


I would dance!


28.    For many of us writing is not our full time job, what is yours?


I am a retired middle school English, Spanish and computer teacher.



The Tumbleweed Landed

Growing up as a member of a ranching family in Branson, a small town in southeastern Colorado, provided author Larada Horner-Miller a treasure-trove of stories, characters, and emotional moments that make up her touching memoir, "This Tumbleweed Landed." This collection of poems and prose transports readers back to rural America during the fifties and sixties, to one idyllic, tight-knit community in particular. Each of the book's eight sections weaves a nostalgic yarn that tells of playtimes with friends and neighbors, favorite hiding places, living without a telephone for the first eleven years of life, and the touching memories of growing up in a ranching community. Whether it is Saturday night dances or hot days working with 4-H at the county fair, the poems and pages roll along like a tumbleweed in search of a place to land. Readers will find themselves longing to go back to this very specific time and place, whether they actually experienced it in their own lives or not.

Read about this daddy's little girl and her adventures that mold and shape her formative years. Where will this tumbleweed land, and what kind of woman will she be when she finally arrives?

Buy it here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Tumbleweed-Landed-Larada-Horner-Miller-ebook/dp/B00LR8QS4Q

Still want to know more?
You can find Larada here:



No comments:

Post a Comment